Monday, October 13, 2008

Sekhar Babu VURA


My name is Sekhar Babu Vura. I am from Pedapatnam which is a small village on the sea shore of the Bay of Bengal. When I think of Care & Share I remember the story of Jesus and his disciples. Mummy Carol Faison and Daddy Noel Harper started Care & Share with a few students, most of them from this small insignificant village of Pedapatnam as Jesus called the simple fishermen from Galilee. Coming to my personal life, I completed my Bachelor of Commerce from Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada, in the year 2003. After that I joined the Jesuits to become a priest. My inspiration was Fr. Yadala Balaswamy, the priest who picked us up from Pedapatnam and who was part of the journey of Care & Share in the initial stages. For personal reasons I left the Jesuits in 2006. I wanted to do MBA (Masters in Business Administration) after leaving the seminary but the family financial situation did not permit and I had to go to work. I hoped to study at the same time. I went to Chennai and found employment in a Call Centre working for Dell Computers. My work with them for 2 years was a great learning experience for me. A couple of months ago I met Mummy and Daddy again after a gap of several years. It was a happy reunion. When I shifted to Hyderabad and was looking for another job they offered me the opprtunity to work with them. This is how I landed in Care & Share from where I first learnt to fly.

Regarding my childhood and family. I studied upto Class 5 in the School and Hostel at Manginapudi Beach with Fr. Balaswamy where Care & Share took roots. My father was a farmer and my mother also worked in the fields. I have an elder sister who is a school Teacher and an elder brother who is now working at the Farm in Daddy's Home. All through my school and college studies I stayed in hostels. That was a difficult experience to be away from home. Sometimes I am terrified reliving life in the Hostels. Of course talking about the positive side I learned to be disciplined and self-controlled.

Mummy and Daddy are my living gods and angels. They have given life to so many children. The kind of love and concern both of them show towards the children is awesome and amazing. I am ever grateful to them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sekhar,

Your testmony is intresting. Care and Share helped many students of Pedapatnam otherwise its missarabe situation